Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Here we go...

Ok, so I have put this off long enough.  I decided to start a blog.  I have been thinking about it for a very long time in fact.  The problem is I keep finding excuses not to publish my first post.  I keep tweaking my settings, colors, gadgets and so on, and all the while tell myself I will post something when I get this all "just right".  It's a bigger deal than I thought, going "live" with your words and your life, isn't it?  My heart is actually pounding.  How funny.  Well nonetheless, here we go...I am taking the plunge...

And it seems only fitting to begin with a recent event that I am quite proud to be a part of: 
The
1st Annual
Scotts Bluff Valley 
Fiber Arts Fair
It was held on Oct. 17th at the Farm and Ranch Museum in Gering, NE

The website for the fair is still under construction, but I will soon have a photo gallery set up there soon, as well as next year's date, vendor and demonstrator applications, etc....so visit often for updated information.  It will be there eventually, I promise!

But just to give you an overall idea of the day, here are a few pictures that Kendall, my daughter, took for me:



 
These are some of the items that we collected for our display boards.  Fiber art encompasses so many different things, and our goal here was to show the public what is being done with yarn, fabric, roving, thread and much more.  

Fiber fairs and festivals can be found all year round in almost every single state.  In fact there are over 70 different events held around the country every year!  I was actually surprised by that number.  However, after a bit of research, we realized Nebraska, Wyoming, Kansas, and Colorado were not among the states that host a big fiber art event.  So we, { Myself, Peggy Wells, Vice President of Brown Sheep Co., and Cher Maybee, Owner of Barn Anew Bed and Breakfast,) decided to remedy that...

In 5 short months we were able pull together vendors, demonstrators, and breeders from 4 different states to come and participate in our first fair.  And I must say, the turnout was unbelievable!! 


Vendors sold everything from hand spun, hand dyed yarns and supplies, to beautiful finished works of wearable art.

 
Here I am (in the brown shirt) looking on with another participant, as Deb Barrett, from 
Longmont, CO, demonstrates Australian Locker Hooking.



Tracy Kreie, another Brown Sheep employee, demostrating spinning on the drop spindle.


 Learning to knit...




Kim Schiffmacher of Dillon, CO demonstrating the spinning wheel.
 

Jim Schmucker and Pat Roberts showing the art of tatting.

And I could go on and on!  We also had demonstrators for crocheting, needlepoint, weaving, needle felting and more.

In addition, the breeders brought fiber animals for everyone to pet, interact with, and learn about.  Here are a few of them:



 
 
From the top down:  alpaca, angora goats, French angora rabbit, and a yak

 There are so many pictures to share, which is why I will be putting more on the website as I get that figured out!  (As it turns out, that website may just be my nemesis, but I will keep at it, so don't give up on me! :)

I think everyone enjoyed and learned something new that day.  We had people attending from 14 different states and estimate that over 1000 participants walked through the doors that day.  We were truly amazed at the turn out!  I believe this area was really ready for this type of event.   

The opportunity to be a part of all of that truly warmed this knitter's soul.   I am right where I belong at the moment.  Can you tell I love what I do?  


Thank you again to all who participated and made this possible!

I would love to hear your thoughts on the fair, this blog, or any other fiber related adventure you'd like to share! 

I will leave you with a couple quotes that have been especially meaningful to me in the last year or so (they currently adorn the top of my computer):

When you follow your bliss...doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors...and where there wouldn't be a door for anyone else.
                                                                                          --Unknown
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.  Talent will not...genius will not...education will not...persistence and determination are omnipotent.
                                                                                          --Calvin Coolidge










7 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job with your first blog post!! Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nancy! I appreciate your support and enthusiasm, always...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That festival looks like such a blast!
    Welcome to the world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! Welcome to you as well! I will check in on your blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really was a blast. I blogged about it too! ;) I see my kids managed to get in a few of Kendall's photos! lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes they did, Laura! They are growing up so fast! I am glad you all enjoyed yourselves. I love to hear that. We are already hard at it again, making plans for next year. I'll keep you posted! Take care!

    ReplyDelete